Adirondack Theatre Festival Seeks Managing Director
Adirondack Theatre Festival seeks full-time Managing Director to oversee and execute administrative operations. Located at the foot of the Adirondacks and three hours north of New York City, ATF is the Albany/Lake George Region’s premier professional summer theatre committed to new and contemporary works. ATF produces a six week summer season with three full productions, special events, and new play readings. This year-round position requires a highly-motivated, self-starter with strong organizational, communication, writing and administrative skills, along with a positive attitude and a friendly demeanor who will partner with ATF’s Producing Artistic Director to actualize the mission, vision, and potential of ATF. Duties include bookkeeping, payroll, financial reporting, office management, marketing & development tasks, staff/intern supervision, and donor relations. An arts administration or business degree is preferred. Ideal start date is October 1, 2014.
Submit cover letter, resume and three references to Chad Rabinovitz via email at email@example.com.
Detailed Description of Managing Director Position
While the MD reports to the Producing Artistic Director (PAD), with only two full-time staff members ATF maintains an organizational structure that is a partnership rather than a hierarchy. Together they work to bring the mission, vision and potential of ATF into reality. The successful candidate is expected to take ownership of the mission and be involved in all levels of decision-making.
ATF values our patrons and supporters as much as each production. We view our artists as guests as much as being employees. As a result, they all have unique needs and perspectives. The Managing Director must value customer service. Our patrons’ experience at ATF occurs well before the show begins—from the way an envelope is written, to appropriate tone and grammar in written communication, to picking up trash they find around the theatre.
The ideal candidate sees the impact their administrative role has on achieving institutional goals. Therefore, this person must be proactive, detail oriented, and anticipate needs and challenges. They must be an inquisitive problem solver and be able to work without a lot of direct supervision.
At the heart, ATF is a positive work environment that results in many staff and artists returning year after year. We thrive on being a leading place of employment, not only in Glens Falls, but within the theatre industry. The ideal candidate will help to facilitate this encouraging environment through an agreeable attitude and a friendly demeanor.
- Producing Artistic Director
- $31,000 – $33,000
- Health Benefits
- Housing – a private apartment adjacent to the company office, utilities & internet provided
- Two weeks paid vacation (may not be taken between May 1 and August 17)
- House Manager, three administrative interns and volunteers
- Specific Duties include:
- Bookkeeping/ Payroll
- Perform accounting processes including: payroll, accounts payable/receivable, reconciling accounts, payroll taxes, audit assistance, and reports
- Bank and credit card deposits
- Weekly AEA reports during the season
- Work with PAD to develop annual budget
- Generate financial reports for Board meetings
- Office Management
- Primary contact for vendors, insurance agencies and financial institutions
- Liaison to unions and licensing houses
- Write contracts for employees and subcontractors
- Working with the PAD to hire interns and seasonal staff
- Serve as HR and employee benefit coordinator
- IT: backup, assessing computer needs
- Database management
- Generate financial documentation for grant applications and reports
- Implement annual and business donor campaigns in consultation with the PAD
- Manage relationships and transactions with sponsors and donors
- Work with the Board, Producing Artistic Director, and volunteers to help coordinate special events and other fundraising activities
- Work with the Producing Artistic Director on grant preparation and administration.
Box Office/ Front of House
- Liaison with Wood Theater Box Office Manager
- Coordinate charitable ticket donations
- Generate season ticket renewal letters
- Reconcile daily box office reports
- Royalty reporting
- Oversee all Front of House staff and operations for productions including House Management, Volunteer Ushers, Concessions, etc.
- Program advertising sales and coordination of business sponsor and trade ads for program
- Create season program
- Assist in the design and implementation of all audience development strategies and promotional events
- Assist in the creation and distribution of press releases, e-blasts, and social media marketing
- Secure and coordinate staff and artist housing
- Prepare and distribute Board meeting packets
- Attend Board meetings (record minutes)
- Represent the organization in public through positive interaction within the community
- Help to maintain ATF’s positive work environment
Software Knowledge Sought
- QuickBooks, Word, Excel, and Outlook a must
- DonorPerfect, WordPress, Adobe InDesign and Photoshop a plus
Additional Skills Sought
- Bulk mail, grant writing, marketing expertise, basic graphic design skills, previous experience handling Equity contracts
Seasonal Production Staff Openings
PLEASE NOTE ALL POSITIONS HAVE BEEN FILLED FOR SUMMER 2014
ATF hires a seasonal staff of administrators and technicians to produce the summer season. Positions include:
- Company Manager
- Technical Director
- Master Electrician
- Sound Designer/Supervisor
- Costume Shop Manager
- Master Carpenter
- Properties Artisan/Scenic Painter
All seasonal staff members receive weekly salary and housing (single room). Work is done at the 294-seat Charles R. Wood Theater in Glens Falls, NY (3 hours north of NYC). Positions are full-time June 1 – August 6, 2014. ATF’s summer season includes 4 mainstage productions, one new play reading and a cabaret. Valid driver’s license required. ATF’s staff is assisted by a company of production and administrative interns. Experience working in a summer stock environment is preferred. Submit cover letter, resume and phone numbers and email addresses of three professional references to Mark Fleischer, Producing Artistic Director at mfleischer@ATFestival.org.
Adirondack Theatre Festival is an Equal Opportunity Employer, women and minorities are encouraged to apply.
Please note all summer internships for 2014 have been filled. Our thanks to everyone who applied.